Profile Hydro- and Engineering Geology
Karlsruhe is the most traditional location for engineering and hydrogeology in Germany and currently offers a wide range of practical courses on the topics of groundwater, engineering geology and near-surface geothermal energy. The focus is always on the sustainable use of groundwater, geoenergy and georesources, in harmony with the ecosystems.
The profile covers the basics, applications and methods of engineering and hydrogeology, from sampling and data acquisition in the field, state-of-the-art laboratory analysis and experimental techniques to numerical modelling of groundwater flow, heat and pollutant transport, mass movements and underground structures. The application of artificial intelligence in water, environmental and geological research is one of our new focal points in research and teaching.
Our diverse research projects in Germany and abroad as well as our intensive cooperation with institutions from the professional world make a variety of exciting and professionally qualifying master theses possible. Our graduates work in engineering offices, consulting firms, construction companies, public offices, state and federal authorities in the fields of applied geology, water, construction and environment, as well as in development cooperation, water utilities and research, both in Germany and internationally.
Within the Master's programme Applied Geosciences the profile Hydro- and Engineering Geology can be selected. This profile includes the following obligatory combination of subjects:
1. geoscientific core competencies
All of the following modules from the geoscientific core competencies:
- methods and applications
- Karst and isotopes
- Laboratory and field methods
- Mass movements and modelling
- 3D geological modelling
- Near-surface geothermal energy
Project study or professional internship in hydro- or engineering geology, applied mapping course.
2. geoscientific specialisations
At least 5 from the following modules (min. 25 LP):
- Hydrogeology: field and laboratory methods
- Hydrogeology: Groundwater modelling
- Current research topics in hydrogeology and engineering geology
- Geodata Analysis I: Programming and Geostatistics*
- Geodata Analysis II: Big Data and Machine Learning
- Pollutants, contaminated sites and remediation methods
- Geochemical processes
- Geothermal energy: energy and transport processes
- Rock mechanics and tunnel construction
*can be taken immediately and from WS 21/22 on be recognized in the core competencies instead of numerical methods in the geosciences
3. technical additions
Module(s) from the subject-related supplements (only 10 LPs possible):
- Water chemistry and water technology
- Water & Energy Cycles
- Environmental geotechnics
- Geotechnical engineering (fundamentals of soil mechanics and fundamentals of foundation engineering)
- Groundwater and dam construction
- earthwork and foundation engineering
- or one of the other modules from the geoscientific specialisations
- or another module related to hydro- and engineering geology (e.g. geophysics, climatology) after prior approval by the examination board
4th master thesis
Master thesis in hydro- or engineering geology
The regular study and examination regulations apply. Confirmation of successful participation in the Hydro- and Engineering Geology profile is issued by the examination board at the request of the student after completion of the course of study.
Exemplary course of studies of the Hydro- and Engineering Geology profile
An example of a course of study starting in the winter semester could be as follows: